Here's the basic information for this RPG:
1. The backdrop of this RPG is that the king of the universe is holding an informal tournament. Whoever wins gets a single wish, with no limits to what it can be. This is the sole piece of background information for the universe that I'm going to give - and the king of the universe is never going to appear, and the tournament is never going to end. Whilst this the main "plot" of the RPG, the purpose is to continually give the characters a motivation to act. The main story elements of the RPG will come from what people do in pursuit of being the winner of the tournament - alliances will be forged and betrayals will occur, and there will be lots and lots of fighting.
1.1 This isn't an actual tournament, though. There are no rules, no rankings, and it doesn't take place in one location. There are no sign-ups, either. Characters simply decide whether they want to participate in the tournament or not, and fight - either to kill, disable, or force to give up - anyone they know to be a competitor (with the exception of their allies, or people they simply don't want to fight). There's no obligation to fight other competitors, even if they're not allied, and there's no obligation to openly identify as a competitor. Your characters do not have to be competitors. Remember, this is not a tournament RPG. The tournament is just a backdrop.
2. This RPG takes place in a completely generic, nondescript scifi universe. There are probably empires in the background, but it's not detailed. When creating this RPG we discussed whether it would take place in the BZPB universe, an AU version of the BZPB universe, or a completely new universe - If you have to ask which one of these it is whilst writing, you're putting too much detail into it. By all means - describe planets, cities, locations, ships, weapons, technology, organizations to your heart's content - but this isn't a faction- or setting-based RPG. You can write demons and werewolves and assassins and cyborgs and sentient robots - anything you feel like.
3. It's character based. What we want is a small, focused cast of well-developed, tightly written characters more akin to the cast of a TV show, compared to BZPB which has many excellent characters amidst a huge cast that's more comparable to the entire Star Wars EU. I'm not going to set a limit on how many characters each player can have, but I'd say that you don't want any more than 5-6.
4. We want epic fights. The way fights are going to be handled in this RPG will work a lot differently to BZPB, with an emphasis on description. For example, take a fight that might appear in BZPB:
- Sample Posts 1:
- User 1 wrote:Asuka fires a blast of energy at ReiUser 2 wrote:Rei dodges the blast of energy and flies upwards, unleashing a barrage of attacks towards Asuka
- Sample Posts 2:
- User 1 wrote:Asuka fires a blast of energy at Rei, who dodges, flying upwards and unleashing a barrage of attacks which impacts Asuka, sending her flying backwards. She impacts the building behind her, falling to the ground, before climbing to her feet and running, sword drawn. She swings at Rei, who dodges, drawing a dagger and thusting towards Asuka's neck.User 2 wrote:Asuka dodges, grabbing Rei's wrist and snapping it, before kicking her back. Rei grits her teeth, unleashing a bolt of energy with her free arm as she retreats backwards. Asuka takes the initiative, flying upwards to avoid Rei's attack and charging her superattack, which she looses towards Rei. It impacts her, blowing her clear off her feet.
As you can see, this has the potential to be much more dramatic. Naturally, it has its downsides, which means I've made the following suggestions:
- Ask questions to the other user if you don't know how their character would behave.
- Don't write dialogue without the other user's express permission.
- Portray the strengths of both characters fairly - if need be, have your character be a little bit weaker. It'll balance out if the other user repays the courtesy.
- Don't "win" the fight, unless you've agreed on the outcome beforehand, or it's completely obvious who's going to win - i.e, a noob two-post old character fighting your main character, who's already proven themselves by defeating many stronger opponents
- Like BZPB, there's to be no killing or serious injuring of other characters without their user's permission. No exceptions.
I don't believe there's a single active user on this site who isn't capable of making this system work, and making it enjoyable. We have no TMVs or 553s (or BZP-Era JSes) who aren't going to take a hit, and we're all very good writers. Remember, the ultimate goal is having a fun story and telling an epic tale, not proving your character is the strongest.
5'. Following a suggestion by Claymore, we'll be doing a similar system, but with dialogue. However, instead of writing the other user's character's dialogue, you work it out with them via PM - whether through a straight up RP, or just discussion. As such, rather than having a conversation split across multiple posts, with one line of dialogue per post, the entire conversation (or a large portion of it) will be incorporated into one post - as if that user was having two of their own characters converse.
Here are the rules for this RPG:
1. No imported characters*. Appearance/Name/Personality - pick one. There's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from outside sources, but this isn't fanfiction.
2. No joke characters or memes. Malygos and Claymore don't like them, and I'm personally divided on the subject. Regardless, they're not in keeping with the tone we want to create - and there's already another RPG there for you to write them into
3. Please write in prose. Whether it's for description, character development or fight scenes, it's just so much better. I'm completely understanding of the fact that it's hard to in BZPB at times due to the sheer amount of writing that needs to be done in the average post, but this RPG is (hopefully) going to be much smaller-scale, with fewer overarching plots and less characters. If we could turn this RPG into a book by just copying the posts in chronological order and pasting them into a word document, that'd be the best thing ever!
4. Have fun. This is the most important rule! Please let me know if I can do anything to improve the RPG.
(Note: These rules are subject to change)
*Your own characters from other RPGs are fine, providing they don't break the Appearance/Name/Personality rule.
Last edited by Sefer Yetzirah on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total