Several years after the present plot of BZPB, Rainn has decided to go on his own, and leave to one of the many alternate Earths of the multi-verse, in a location called Task City (somewhere in the coastal areas of the US). He decided to put more of his detective skills to use, even in old age (clone-wise, of course) and started a private investigation group. The city is full of crime, and the rise in corruption of government officials isn’t exactly helping. Now, it’s up to the private detectives to bring justice, or die trying.
All RPG Styles are allowed. No worries about the *insert action here* rule.
As GM, I am given authority by DRJ to regulate this RPG and levy the punishments for any rule breaking/setting breaking. His authority (as with the administrators) is above mine, however, and if any judgments they make usually affect what happens here.
No extensive controlling of other people’s characters, otherwise known as “bunnying”.
All out of character posts must be signaled as OOC or OOS.
Minor god-modding: Your action will be ignored, and you will be warned.
Flaming/Major god-modding: Your character will be dumped on a far away plantation in Kansas where a guy with the last name Kent will force you to work for him until his extremely strong son arrives.
Repeated action of above: Suspension from the RPG. Once you are suspended twice, you will be banned from the RPG, and the mods/admins will be taking care of you in their way.
Spam: Site policies apply.
Inappropriate Material: First offense=Warning. Second offense=Suspension, Third offense: RPG ban.
If you continue to break these rules or make a deal out of your suspension, you will be site banned.
How it Works:
This game will run on our characters’ interactions and abilities, and the crimes they investigate.
The shortest mysteries take about 1-2 pages of posts to solve, while the long ones take much more than that. Anyone can volunteer to make a mystery by contacting and sorting the details out with me. The first mystery will be authored by yours truly. In between each mystery, there will be dry periods where you are encouraged to fill in with character development and sub-plots. If you want to make one, make sure to PM me ahead of time with brief information. And by ahead of time, I mean "enough time for you to develop clues and details". Once approved, you can set the events in motion.
Don’t hesitate to PM me any questions you might have.
1. Mysteries do not necessarily have to be fully solved, and they can end up being cold cases. Same with villains. They can get away and never be seen again, become recurring criminals, or get caught immediately.
2. Crossover elements are allowed. Some characters from the main RPG or even spin-off RPGs can show up and help with the investigations (they can’t become regulars unless they are minor characters in their source games), but I ask that you do not add too many references to over-arching plots. For example, Rainn is the main character here because he’s a minor character in the Original RPG. He can reference his weird aging and the fact that he’s the clone of an alien who looks shockingly human, but most of his tasks will not involve something related to the Reckoning, Ascension, etc. (remember that I said most). Klak may stop by and visit from time to time, but he will not become a regular.
3. This ties in to Fantasy/Sci-fi elements. Your crimes/characters CAN have these elements, but there is a level of realism that I wish to accomplish through this, so have some discernment in how you handle it.
4. Plots can go beyond the city, but our main focus is Task City.
5. When describing Crime scenes/crimes, remember to keep the descriptions within a PG-13 level. The worst is something around CSI level. For example, I don’t want to know how eviscerated someone’s spleen is, I just want to know if his spleen was eviscerated or not. Blood spatter and body fluid evidence is the exception.
6. Police will be working alongside us often, but do not be surprised if they inhibit cases or are lacking information on something. Sometimes, they might even work against us. Sometimes, they won’t even know a thing.
7. Everyone is allowed to have their input and discover things about the crime scene as hinted by the people in charge of the plot, but you are not allowed to make clues up as you go along unless you are told otherwise.
8. Characters can be virtually anything, but keep in mind, not everyone in Task City is exactly used to seeing aliens or monsters running around, so at the very least they will stare oddly. Also, your characters are allowed to free-roam, but keep in mind, there are real life consequences for many of your actions. If your character insults someone, they will insult you back. If you punch someone, they will punch back. If you kill someone, you’ll be in trouble, and so on.
9. Your characters can be old BZPB characters (I ask that they be minor characters, not main ones, meaning that Klak, Ynot, Malygos/Veras, Blackout, Zev, Raigen, Osseron, Ferret, Kakamu, Sefer, etc. can only make cameos here and there, but side characters like Rainn who aren’t regulars can become main characters here), completely original and new characters, or some borrowed from other works. However, I encourage you to make new characters so they can easily fit with the setting.
9a. This extends to Platinum Lanterns. Cameos are acceptable, but I would appreciate it if they did not act as deus ex machinas.
10. Any mention of the Users is to be kept at a minimum. You don't want Rainn getting upset.
11. Hollywood Mystery Solving Time/Faster than the speed of the plot time is allowed.
12. If your mystery involves something that may start a flame war with other members for any reason whatsoever, please be sure to approach me for consulting. To clarify, this only extends to topics or actions that other Users may find irksome (such as the brutal murder of a character they like).
12a. If your mystery or post involves a dramatic change in the RPG (such as the destruction of the city, the world, and/or the galaxy), please ask permission.
13. Have fun. This is a new, more experimental RPG, and I look forward to everyone enjoying it.
Failure to follow these rules results in: warnings, double warning, triple warning, suspension (amount of time decided according to offense), and finally a ban. Let’s hope we never have to resort to anything beyond a warning.
Any questions please PM me.
Here is a guide to the locations:
Main Street: Location of the Sulrai Private Eye Office and several business buildings, shops, etc. Government buildings such as City Hall, Police Headquarters, and the Polish Consul are here.
Sulrai Private Eye Office: Often called “Rainn’s House” or “HQ” by the detectives. It looks similar to a realtor’s office building, but with tainted windows. There is a waiting room, a couple of restrooms, several office kiosks, and a larger office with a large brown desk owned by Rainn in it.
Crimetown: A borough known for it’s high amounts of gang activity and crime. Tensions run heavy in this area, and it is generally acknowledged that you do not walk here at night if you value your life.
Upperton: The more affluent members of the city tend to live in this area. Part of it is full of high-rise and expensive modern apartments. It extends beyond the more urban parts of Task City, and into a suburb full of mansions.
South and Main: Where the more middle class people tend to live. They are spread about in apartments, small houses, etc.
Dark Town: An area known for it’s shady history and dark secrets. There are several urban legends of this area being heavily involved with the occult, and the borough plays tribute to these legends with souvenir shops, “haunted“ houses, and other forays into the mysticism.
Light District: Several of the cities better known charities, soup kitchens, etc. have their home here. It is generally accepted that the nicest most morally upright people in all of Task City live here. It is for this reason that many homeless are seen heading towards this part of the city, which has Art Deco architecture.
Docks: The area bordering the Mississippi River. Imagine your typical city dock.
Colonial Zone: Area known for its historical roots. Most of the buildings here are of an older style, with Jeffersonian being the most prominent.
Ethnic Neighborhoods: There’s a Chinatown, a Little Italy, a French Quarter, and more.
The city is massive, and is now at your fingertips. Will you defend justice with Rainn, or become the greatest criminal and have millions fear your name?
Last edited by Klak on Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:08 am; edited 7 times in total